Aged Care and Home Care

Aged Care and Home Care

Looking to move into aged care, or need some extra help around the home to keep yourself independent? Find information here about what subsidies you may be eligible for, what services are available and where you can find help to navigate the system.

Jump to a section:
My Aged Care | Home Care Services | Aged Care Homes | Short-term and Respite Care | Assessments |Process Support | Fees and Charges | Complaints and Advocacy | Support for Carers

My Aged Care

My Aged Care is a national online and phone-based service. It can help you to help you find out about aged care and home care services and what services might be best for you. My Aged Care also arranges assessments for government subsidised services. Visit their website or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422, Monday to Friday 8 am – 8 pm, Saturday 10 am – 2 pm.

Home Care Services

Home Care Services help you stay independent in your own home for longer. There are many home care products and services available. These can include things like assistance with:

  • personal care
  • housework and daily chores, like cooking or cleaning
  • transport to appointments or shopping
  • home maintenance and gardening
  • respite care.

The Australian Government subsidises the cost of home care services through two different programs: the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and the Home Care Package (HCP).

To find out if you are eligible for the programs, you will need to have an assessment. This will also figure out what level of care you need. Read more about the assessment process below. For more information on home care services or to find a provider near you, My Aged Care Service Finder  or the Aged Care Guide.

Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

The CHSP is for older Australians who need a little extra support at home. It provides a subsidy for one or two services. If you need more help, a Home Care Package may be a better option.

To be eligible you need to be aged:

  • 65 or over (50 or over for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people)
  • 50 or over and also on a low income, homeless or at risk of being homeless (45 or over for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people).

The Department of Health has developed a fact sheet for CHSP clients and their families and carers providing information on accessing services during the pandemic. The fact sheet includes information on CHSP, how to access CHSP and other services safely and without an assessment, when withheld services can resume and questions above COVID-19.

Home Care Packages (HCP)

HCPs offers higher levels of assistance than the CHSP. The eligibility ages are the same, however, HCPs are for people who need greater or more complex care. There are 4 levels of package available, which give you different amounts of funding depending on your care needs.

Most Home Care Packages are managed by service providers however it is possible to consider managing your own Home Care Package to varying degrees.

The COTA Australia website hosts numerous resources  freely available to both providers and consumers to help build a greater understanding and practical knowledge about self-management in home care.

Aged Care Homes

Aged care homes may also be known as ‘nursing homes’ or ‘residential aged care facilities’. They are for older people who can no longer live at home. They provide ongoing help with everyday tasks or health care. Their services can include:

  • help with personal hygiene and grooming
  • nursing and therapy
  • social activities
  • day-to-day needs, such as meals and laundry
  • help in emergencies.

To access residential aged care or ‘aged care homes’ in Australia you will need to have an assessment to determine the level of support and care you will need. See assessments below, visit My Aged Care or call 1800 200 422 for more information about the process.

Not all aged care homes are subsidised by the Australian Government. Some are privately run and others such as retirement villages or independent living units are not aged care facilities.

Choosing Residential Care

My Aged Care provides a search tool to find approved Aged Care Homes (Residential Aged Care) near you.

The Aged Care Guide offers a database of aged care homes, along with retirement villages and home care services. You can search by name, location or browse all listings. There are also comparator sites available but use these with caution. They may be funded by providers and may also not list all the options in your area.

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission is responsible for protecting and enhancing the safety, health, well-being and quality of life for people receiving aged care.  The Commission produces reports on accredited aged care services.  You can access the accreditation reports online.

Short-term and Respite Care

Short-term care provides temporary care and support. It can be from a few days to a few months at a time. Some subsidies from the government may be available. Services can include:

  • assistive technology aids
  • nursing, therapy or counselling
  • home maintenance
  • help with everyday tasks.

Read more about short-term care on My Aged Care.

Transition Care

Transition care can help you recover and regain your independence after being in hospital. You can access services for up to 12 weeks at a time. Help can include:

  • therapy services
  • nursing support
  • personal care.

You will be assessed face-to-face in hospital to find out what type of care you can benefit from. Hospital staff can arrange this, or you can contact My Aged Care directly.  There may be some fees, depending on your financial situation. Read more about transition care.

Respite Care

‘Respite’ simply means taking a break. It’s important that carers take time for themselves to rest and recharge while respite care services look after the person being cared for.

Respite can be on a planned or emergency basis and includes community-based respite (such as in-home respite and respite at a day centre) and residential respite care (short stays in aged care homes). It provides an opportunity for both people to take a break. Respite can be accessed for a few hours, a few days, or longer depending on the needs, eligibility, and services available in the area.

For more information visit My Aged Care’s page on respite care or the Carers Gateway.

You will need a free assessment to find out your eligibility for respite care. The cost of respite care will depend on your circumstances and the kind of care you need. The Australian Government may also provide some subsidies.

For emergency respite contact the Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737. Having an emergency care plan makes it easier for someone to take over for the carer in a hurry.


If you are considering moving into an aged care home or accessing help at home and would like subsidised care, you will need to have an assessment. This is done in 2 stages:

  • an initial phone call or online application to determine your eligibility
  • a face-to-face assessment.

During the phone call, a representative will talk to you about your current situation. They will work out if you are eligible to receive government-subsidised aged care services. The National Relay and the Translating and Interpreting Service are available if you need them.

You may then be referred for a face-to-face assessment. There are two types of assessment:

  • Regional Assessment Service (RAS), for low-level care needs
  • with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT/ACAS), for more complex care needs.

Both assessments usually take place in person, in your own home and at a time that suits you. The assessments will find out your care needs and work with you to develop your support plan.

Find out more about the assessment process online or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422, Monday to Friday 8 am – 8 pm, Saturday 10 am – 2 pm to start the process.

Support with the process

A friend or a family member can speak to My Aged Care on your behalf by becoming your representative

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact My Aged Care through the National Relay Service

If you are visually impaired, you can access information through the My Aged Care contact centre staff and My Aged Care assessors. You can also request information in large print or braille by contacting My Aged Care.

If you need information or communication in a non-English language, you can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) for support to talk to My Aged Care, or you can access information in 22 languages.

Fees and Charges

All Australians are expected to contribute to the cost of their care depending on your capacity to pay.  Each subsidised aged care program has different fees and charges.

Fees can include:

  • fees based on the services you receive
  • a basic daily fee
  • an income-tested care fee
  • extra fees not included in your subsidy program or package.

The calculation of fees and services for Home Care Packages and Aged Care Homes can be quite complex. It is recommended that you seek financial advice before making a choice. Services Australia (formerly the Department of Human Services) offers a free Financial Information Service in several languages which can help you understand the process. You can also call 132 300 for more information.

Financial Hardship Assistance

Financial hardship assistance is available for people who are unable to pay for their aged care due to unexpected reasons. There are some restrictions on who can receive the assistance, including limits on your assets and income. Read more about the criteria and application process.

Complaints and Advocacy

If you or someone you know are not happy with the aged care service, there are some organisations you can contact.

ADA Australia

ADA Australia’s Aged and Community Care Advocacy service provides information and individual advocacy support to people who have issues related to Commonwealth funded aged care services in Queensland.

Visit their website or call them on 1800 818 338  9am-4pm Monday to Friday.

Read more about how Advocacy Services can support you at

Aged Care Complaints Commission

You can provide feedback or make a complaint about a service through the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission. This can be done by phone, letter or online. Interpreting services are available. Visit their website or call 1800 951 822, Monday to Friday 9 am – 5 pm, for more information.

Elder Abuse Prevention Unit

The Elder Abuse Prevention unit offers information and advocacy services for elder abuse. Elder abuse may be physical, social, financial, psychological or sexual and can include mistreatment and neglect. Read more about the types and signs of elder abuse or call their helpline on 1300 651 192 or for interstate callers  07 3867 2525.

Support for families and carers

Carer Gateway 

The Carer Gateway provides information and support on services available for carers.

  • Supports include
  • Phone counselling
  • Support groups
  • Self-guided coaching
  • Skills courses
  • Carer respite
  • Practical help and advice
  • Information about financial support

To access the Carer Gateway

  • visit Carer Gateways website; resources are available in several languages
  • request a call back online
  • or call 1800 422 737. Monday to Friday 8am-6pm. You will be connected to a Carer Gateway service provider in your area. A trained worker will be available to talk with you and then help you to find services and support to meet your needs.


There are a range of respite services available to support carers. See the respite section on this page or on My Aged Care and or the  Carer Gateway.