In the ongoing evolving climate of the pandemic, COTA Queensland’s 2022/23 State Budget submission highlights the key areas that the Queensland Government must address to work towards a healthier ageing Queensland:
- age-friendly environments (including a healthy ageing framework that combats key areas such as elder abuse)
- integrated age-friendly health system
- social isolation and loneliness
- palliative care
- mature age employment
- housing affordability
- concessions, affordable and accessible transport; and
- affordable and efficient energy.
Key learnings to date from the pandemic have shown that there have been positive developments, but there still needs to be a focus on local capacity and community responses and how these can be supported – collaboratively through public, private and community sectors.