Seeking hosts for regional, rural and remote Queensland communities to share their views on ageing and aged care
Your opportunity to host a kitchen table discussion in your local community
Closing date for expression of interest
Expressions of interest to become a Host must be submitted by close of business 8th November 2020.
COTA Queensland is engaging people across regional, rural and remote communities to hear directly from community members, carers and people who are accessing or considering accessing aged care and support.
The ‘Kitchen Table Discussions’ are an opportunity for community members to take the lead and facilitate consultation on this important subject in their own local community.
The information gathered through these kitchen table discussions will inform COTA Queensland’s reports to the Queensland and Australian governments and our ongoing advocacy.
About Kitchen Table Discussions
Kitchen Table Discussions are community engagement sessions led by local people for local people. They allow individuals and small groups to participate in discussions at a time of day, and in a place, that suits them. The discussions enable community members, people currently accessing or considering accessing aged care and support, carers and family members who do not ordinarily participate in healthcare consultation to have their say in a safe and supportive environment.
Each Kitchen Table Discussion will be led by a community member (host) who will invite carers, people currently accessing or considering accessing aged care and support, and other community members to a discussion in a location of their choice. This may be online or in person, in line with current COVID-19 restrictions. The Host guides the discussion with a suite of questions developed by COTA Queensland, and reports back the outcomes of these discussions afterwards.
These sessions are based on Health Consumers Queensland’s Kitchen Table Discussion methodology for health organisations.
Role of the Discussion Host
As the host, your role will be to plan, coordinate and facilitate a 90-minute discussion of up to five questions, and 30-minutes for refreshments afterwards with up to 10 people. This includes:
- Inviting up to 10 participants who would be interested in being part of the discussion on this important subject. They can include family members, friends, neighbours and your local community connections to attend the discussion (ideally, people who do not normally have their voice heard should be invited to attend).
- Choosing a venue, time and date between 23 November and 4 of December 2020 that works for your participants. The discussion will need to occur within a COVID-Safe environment and may be held online.
- Host the session.
- Complete and provide a feedback report to COTA Queensland by 8 December 2020.
- Participate in a review session.
To support you with this, you will receive:
- Training via a Zoom conference call or phone call.
- A discussion host guide.
- A short list of questions to ask participants during the discussions.
- Support from COTA Queensland to ensure you have a successful event.
Who are we looking for as community member hosts?
We would like our hosts to have connections with people who are ageing in regional, rural or remote Queensland. We are also interested in representing the views of a range of people who may not typically have a say. To achieve this, we are particularly looking for hosts who are older Queenslanders, people accessing or soon to access aged care, carers and/or people from the following communities:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- People living in regional, rural and remote locations in Queensland
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer (LGBTIQ+) people
- Hard to reach, travel disadvantaged and people who are isolated
Remuneration and Support
Hosts – you will be remunerated at COTA Queensland’s daily rate of $300. You will also be reimbursed up to $50 to cover catering costs for your session.
How to apply
Please complete this Expression of Interest form below by 8 November 2020.
Upon completion you will be redirected to our homepage and a copy of the information have supplied will be emailed to address supplied.
For assistance completing this Expression of Interest or kitchen table discussion, please contact Sherryn Davies via [email protected] or by phone on 07 3316 2916.
Expression of Interest form
Thank you for your interest, this form is now closed.